Saturday, November 11, 2017

TAST Stitch 75

TAST Stitch 75: Raised Herringbone Band

I am still catching up with some of the TAST stitches that did not easily work into projects I was working on as they were introduced. 

It is a bit difficult to see in this photo, but after piecing this crazy quilt stocking for my son, I realized I forgot to trim the selvage from the solid blue fabric and that it was showing beneath the blue striped fabric. Rather than ripping the seams out, cutting the selvage off, and sewing the fabric back in place, I decided I could easily hide the selvage with a ribbon, trim, or with embroidery. The raised herringbone band came to the rescue!

First, I stitched the foundation with straight stitches using size 8 blue perle cotton.

Next, herringbone stitches were added with a light blue size 8 perle cotton thread. (I used the stripes in the fabric above to measure the distance between my stitches to keep them relatively even.)

Two strands of a variegated blue cotton floss were then laced through the herringbone stitches, as I wanted that to be rather subtle.

When I finished, my husband entered the room and peeked over my shoulder. He said it looked cool. I thanked him and said the blue foundation stitiches were the most time consuming. His response was hilarious.

"Wait, that dark blue is all stitched? Seriously?" he asked, taking a closer look. "That's insane. There has to be a faster way," he said.

I explained there were faster ways. I could have used ribbon or another trim beneath the herringbone stitches, but then it wouldn't be the raised herringbone band.

He shook his head, mumbling something about that being ridiculous or insane.

"So... you don't like it?" I asked, trying not to laugh.

His eyes grew wide and he shook his head.

"Are you kidding me? I think it looks amazing! But that's just crazy," he replied.

One person's crazy is another person's fun, I guess! (Perhaps that is why it is called crazy quilting?!)

Thank you for stopping by.
Renee

TAST stands for Take a Stitch Tuesday. It is a personal stitching challenge offered by Sharon B. at pintangle.com. You may read more about it here. There is also a TAST Facebook group you may find here.

The next round of TAST will begin in January. There will be TAST for beginners and Beyond TAST, for those that have completed TAST in the past. You may read more about plans for TAST next year here.

For those of you that may be interested in joining TAST next year, Sharon shared a great article about the supplies you will need. She shared several money saving ideas. You may find that article here.

Please note, I sometimes share sneak peeks of my work on Instagram and on Facebook.








10 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We have to love our husbands - they support us no matter what, even though they do often think we're insane. My DH has learned to suppress his aghast-ness (and yes I know that's not a word) over my pulling my knitting out and redoing things. At least now I don't usually have to rip it right back to the beginning and start completely over, a fact that hasn't gone unnoticed by him. And yes, I like your herringbone band but not at all sure I'd have the patience to do all that straight stitching.

Anonymous said...

Your conversation with your husband made me laugh. No doubt he has some activity where he's willing to put in the crazy time, but that's different. LOL I didn't actually realize until this post that you did that stitching, either. I thought it was over a bit of cording! It's even more beautiful now that I know. =)

Queeniepatch said...

Ha, ha! So many times have I heard things like: What's the point of cutting up fabric just to stitch it back together again (quilting) or Why not BUY a scarf (hand knitted muffler) or similar The fact that something is enjoyable, although time consuming and fiddly , is hard to understand for those who do not share such a view.
I agree with your husband, it is an amazing seam treatment. I also think you are very smart to use the striped fabric as a measuring tape for your Herringbone Stitches.

Catherine said...

Absolutely love your husband’s comments! Mine just acknowledges that some things are just not for him to understand 😊
I love how you’ve done this stitch. Such a lovely way to finish the edge.

crazyQstitcher said...

A perfect 'Save' covering the fault. You have patience that pays off.
I read the comments to my DH, who laughed, recognising, 'Why cut it up and restitch' and then commented with a smile 'Who can understand a woman'.
He is always supportive of my odd ways.
Renee, I bet your DH brags about your cleverness to his friends.

Annet said...

Your husband's respons made me laugh!

Katie said...

LOL I had to giggle about the conversation with your hubby.

Createology said...

Your husband’s comments are Priceless! Love your raised herringbone stitch and that you used the stripes to gauge your distance. This block is truly BLUEtiful. Stitching Bliss...<3. Crazy...LOL

Renee said...

Thank you, Catherine! I was thankful my husband allowed me to share our conversation, as I was certain others could relate. :)

Renee said...

Annet, I am glad you got a laugh out of our conversation, too. :)